Monday 16 January 2017

Superhero Lair - the next chapter in the making...

This is the second installment of making the Superhero Lair for my nephew for Christmas.


To finish off the back wall of the lower section of the Superhero Lair required a trip to Spotlight for appropriate scrapbooking paper.  I really wanted to use a colour from the initial scrapbooking paper to continue the funky theme.


I choose a light green paper to tone in with the circle colours on the original paper.  As you can see below, I used the cutoff from the green paper to accent the top section of the lair and part of the second piece of the circle paper to break up the green in the botton section of the lair.  I also used brown scrapbooking paper again for the flooring.  It was neutral and complemented the green and circular pattern.




I choose some green striped and brown zig-zagged material at Spotlight for the couch and cushions for the seating and got somethings for making the table.  I envisaged the skinny poles going through the holes on the big ice cream sticks and the wooden balls being stoppers at the top and bottom of the legs.  Yeah.  Right.



I already had some wooden blocks, so I (badly) glued them together and painted them blue for the seat for the table.



I painted the sticks for the legs of the table.



I stuck a whole lot of big ice cream sticks together for the top of the table.  I wonder if you can figure out where I went wrong yet...



I started making a couch.  I glued sponge to the bottom of a cardboard present box.



I started to wrap it in the green striped material.  I used hot glue to secure it all.







This is the back of the couch.  Not that I cut the corners off the part that I want flat against the main box.



This is the couch all stuck together... for an action figure it is probably just a chair actually...






And the couch in situation...



I then started to make a footstool/coffee table.  I had a round present box.  I glued on some of the paper from the wall that was left over.



I then covered the lid with the brown zig-zag material, gluing it on with an all purpose paste.




I made some pillows.  I cut the sponge in half so it was half the thickness the sponge usually is.  The flip sid of the pillows are not flash.  Something I will need to improve upon.





To cover my horrific pillow making I hot glued on a button.  I'm not confident these pillows will be robust.




The table has been challenging.  I should have put it all together before painting because once I painted the sticks and the table top, the sticks would not go through the holes.  So I had to do a complicated bit of engineering.  It is rather wobbly however.




The chair to go with the table is made of four wooden blocks glued together and painted blue.  I added the scrapbooking paper from the walls to tie it all in.  I made the cushion part of the seat by getting a bit of card in the same shape as the blocks, gluing sponge onto the card and then wrapping around and gluing on the material.  Then I glued the cushion to the blocks.





And this is the finished product for my nephew's Christmas present below.  Goodness knows how long all this handmade furniture will last... particularly if my niece gets her hands on it!







No comments:

Post a Comment