Wednesday 28 December 2016

Vintage Pram Do-Up!!!

August:
This pram is vintage.  It used to be my Aunty Anne's, my Dad's oldest sister, pram when she was a little girl - and she is now 76!  Then her daughter had it, and then I got it, and now I am getting it done up for my niece for her Christmas present this year.



Like the dollhouse, it has been in the shed for a number of years, exposed to dirt, bugs, rodents and shed cats.  But despite that it is still in reasonable condition, and after a bit of sugar soap it came up quite a bit cleaner... ok a bit of work with a rag won't go astray.



I am intending on taking it to a professional for an inspection and to fix one or two annoying features. 


December:
Well due to a tight financial situation, this pram did not go to a professional to fix.  In the end I felt it would just have to get a good clean.  As you can see below it was a wee bit manky.  So I started off with a vacuum clean all over inside and out.







And then I took to it with a cloth and warm water with sugar soap in it.  Then for good measure I went over the wheels, which were especially dirty, with a toothbrush and some bathroom cleaner.  I then hosed the wheels off outside.






I think you will agree that the wheels are much cleaner now.


I was going to make the bedding considering all the stuff I had as a child is currently in storage and inaccessable.  So I went to a shop in Hamilton called Purple Patch.  They have a lot of handmade toys and knitted baby outfits.  They had a new mattress (which is good because my old one was my Mum's too, and it has seen better days).



I was able to source a nice lemon sheet - much cheaper than if I bought the material and then cut and hemmed it.



They had this lovely lemon and blue cover as well.  Much nicer than I would have made.



And here is the pram all made up.  You can see that broken leather strap that is supposed to hold up the hood of the pram.  I think my bro can fix that up.  I hope my niece appreciates this vintage pram for Christmas.  She has plenty of dolls to put in it.







No comments:

Post a Comment